Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sharing a layout - My Girl

Our theme on the ScrapGals podcast this week was The Wonder Years - all about our childhood. I haven't done a very good job of scrapbooking my childhood, so this is a really timely topic for me. I'm glad that this topic this week forced me to scrapbook some of the important stories from my past.

I found these old pics of my mom and me performing with the dance team when I was in high school, and I immediately realized this was a story that needed to be told. I don't love the pics. They're pretty dark and not very big and just not great. But you know what? That's okay. In this case, the photos are just supporting the memory I have to tell. Sometimes that's what happens with older pics/stories, and I think that's perfectly fine.

I started with some Jillibean Soup patterned paper (I think) and began layering with some other pieces. The lined paper is some October Afternoon that I used on another project and cut down to size; the yellow scallop is a border sticker (Doodlebug maybe); the distressed cream was the B side of some Studio Calico (I think); the golden plaid is OA that I'd used on another layout recently. Note to self: do a better job keeping track of the supplies you use. The point is, I mixed all different paper lines to create the base for the layout. Interestingly enough, the papers are not an exact match to the photos; rather, I thought a tonal match with a vintage feel would be a better option. This is also a situation where cream felt much more appropriate than harsh white. (Y'all know I struggle with the cream vs. white issue regularly.) Cream feels older, softer, more subdued than a harsh white, so that's what I went with even though we're wearing glowing white tennis shoes in the actual picture. 


I created the title using some fabulous OA sticker letters. We danced to the song "My Girl," so that's where the title idea originated. I do explain that in my journaling too.


I created an embellishment section on the bottom left to balance out the layout, but you'll notice I tried to keep the gutter space between the different sections pretty consistent. I think that helps unify the piece.


Although the primary colors of the layout are kraft, blue, and yellow, I incorporated a little pink through my embellishment choices and title letters. I like that little pop of unexpected color. I also really like how the date label sticker connects the journaling spot with the background of the layout by extending onto the background paper.



I backed the heart shaped 'US' in the same gold plaid as the trim at the bottom of the layout in an effort to create some unity. Notice the two pink labels mirror each other in their placement on the page too, while the blue label on the envelope accent and the blue tag on the far left mirror each other in terms of color/shape. The kraft doily is offset by the heart shape and the wood veneer word on the left, while the circle embellishment is repeated on the far right and on the left. Again and again, I worked to create a visual triangle within the embellishments of the page and on the page as a whole.


Here's a closeup of the journaling in case you'd like to read it.


Here's a closeup of the embellishment cluster at the bottom left of the page. I used a variety of embellishments from several different manufacturers to create a sense of whimsy and to make it all feel a bit more modern.


Check out those sweatpants, white tennis shoes and big hair. Weren't we cute? Lol! I'm on the far left in the front row, and my mom is the blonde with the big hair next to me.


The side view....


And here's the finished piece:


I hope you guys enjoyed my little walk down memory lane and that you're inspired to go make a layout from your childhood too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment